Saturday, November 1, 2014

More on Derpy

Okay, so I just learned who Derpy is and what the song in my last post was actually talking about. In context, the meaning of the entire song changes. I tend to avoid reading about characters because I am afraid of spoilers, but in this case I made an exception, and I'm glad I did. There really aren't any Derpy spoilers.

That being said, I can't believe that they changed her appearance and her voice and all that because she was supposedly offensive to the disabled. I'm... I'm sorry? Have things really become so ridiculously politically correct that no one has a sense of humor, or a sense of irony? Obviously the FiM producers, cast and fans are not out to insult disabled people. The producers and cast have gone out of their way to be accessible to fans and to give special attention to those with disabilities, and the fans have raised truckloads of money for various charitable causes.

So at what point did it cross someone's mind that Hasbro, Hub, the cast, the producers or the fans were somehow trying to offend them? Derpy's silly expression and overall clumsiness was for comic effect, nothing more. She was the FiM equivalent of Chris Farley or the Three Stooges. Because physical comedy and silly faces are funny. And her name? Well, what's in a name? Derpy was just a silly name given to her by the fans that kinda stuck. There was certainly no malice in it, no intent to hurt anyone's feelings. It's not like someone decided that they were going to take a show that otherwise has an impeccable track record of being unoffensive, noncontroversial and full of good moral lessons and use it to target a group of people and make them feel bad.

But whatever. It's over and done with now. Censorship and the PC police win again. Sorry, Derpy... err, Ditzy Doo or Muffins or whatever they're choosing to call you today. You really got the old stickaroo on this one, didn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment