Monday, November 3, 2014

Finding the Ponies Within

I continue to progress through the series little by little. As I do, I find that I relate more and more to each of the ponies in different ways. I find a bit of myself in all of them, which I think is why the show has such appeal for me. This is not saccharine feminine bullcrap mass produced just to sell toys. These characters are so well developed that it's easy to relate to them. They deal with real issues, have real quirks found in real personalities, and are not all sunshine daisy and butter mellow (how many of you just echoed back "Turn this stupid fat rat yellow?").

I would like to start with Rarity, because I find myself liking her more with every episode. I found her a bit stiff and boring in the beginning, because she seemed to be far too concerned about making her mane look nice and putting on pretty clothes. These are not things I can relate to in the least. If I ever brush my hair, it's because I have to go somewhere important, and I am more comfortable in sweatpants than rhinestones. I was wrong about her, though. I see so much of myself in her behavior. She wants things to be just so. She's a bit OCD, just like me. She tends to obsess over things that others might not find important. She likes things orderly, clean and presentable. Yet she is also a very loyal friend and extraordinarily generous. Remember in the pilot how she cut off her own tail so that she could help the water monster fix his moustache? I would like to be more like Rarity. While we are both OCD, she is far more so. I am not nearly as tidy.

Then there's bubbly... hyperactive Pinkie Pie. What more can be said? She's Pinkie Pie. She is happy, likes to have fun, and is prone to break into song at random (to the chagrin of those around her). She is the kind of pony who doesn't take herself-- or life-- too seriously. She chooses to laugh at things and try to remain positive. It is hard to make Pinkie mad, and you rarely see her without her trademark smile. I can say I'm a bit like that too. Not nearly as, um, ADHD, but I do try to laugh through misfortune and keep a stiff upper lip. I learned a long time ago that allowing life to constantly upset you will cause you to be a bitter, miserable and unpleasant person that no one wants to be around. As much as I make jokes about Pinkie Pie needing a prescription for Ritalin, I really do like her very much. I wish more people could be like her and just smile even when things look bleak.

Applejack. What a character she is. Although she's country, she is by no means a hick or a simpleton. She is actually quite intelligent, very loyal and one of the hardest working ponies in Equestria. I remember her trying to bring in the apple harvest all on her own and causing mayhem due to her exhaustion. Her stubborn refusal to ask for help got her into trouble, and she does have a stubborn streak. I saw it again in her bickering with Rarity during Twilight Sparkle's slumber party. I feel I understand her, and one cannot help but love her, but she also reminds me of things that I try very hard not to remember. I think this is the main reason I feel a bit more distant from her than the others. My roots are country. My grandfather and my father both spent decades of their lives attempting to break into the country music business (both ultimately failing), and I was raised on country music and backbreaking work ethic. My maternal grandfather worked himself till his body gave out because he could not stop working, even on the weekends. They all taught me the value of hard work, but the costs of these lessons were hard to watch.

Rainbow Dash is next. She's bold, loud, and more than a little bit of a braggart. She talks loudly of her abilities, and has little patience for those who cannot keep pace or who struggle. In "Dragonshy," she constantly criticized and complained about Fluttershy's inability to climb the mountain. She scorned her for her lack of courage and showed contempt for her fears. She likes to show off her amazing speed and her talent for complex stunts and dreams of joining the Wonderbolts. How this plays out for her as the series progresses I will not speculate on (still in season one), but I admire her for dreaming big. She isn't content with just having her abilities, she wants to use them for something. Some people will never step out of their comfort zone and dare to do something grand. Rainbow Dash is not one of those. And of course, she is always the first to step up when there's danger or business to take care of. She is brave, and is not afraid to put herself at risk if the need arises.

I see past and present parts of myself in Rainbow Dash. I was certainly once brash and, more often than I care to admit, foolish. I would frequently get impatient with those with less ability at something and was sometimes vocally critical. These are negative traits that I cannot deny that I had to grow out of. I still find traces of them from time to time, but for the most part these are parts of my personality that I have buried. The big dreams are part of who I am and always have been. I dream of being a popular novelist. I want people to read my work and enjoy it. I would love to sit on writer's panels with people like Stephen King and JK Rowling and answer fan questions. So I can understand Rainbow Dash's insatiable desire to do great things.

In deciding who I would do last and second-to-last, I had a tough decision, because etiquette seems to dictate that in a list of characters, the main protagonist should be spoken of last, as extra emphasis should be placed on the main character. But not this time. I actually want to save Fluttershy for last, as I relate to her the best, and thus my focus moves to Twilight Sparkle. She is a voice of authority, a stellar student, a fast learner, a voice of reason, a logical thinker, a mediator between conflicts. I am actually none of these things, with the exception of a logical thinker. Actually, I relate to Twilight Sparkle most through her passion for her friends. She is one of the most dedicated friends I have ever seen. She loves fiercely and does everything in her power to protect, guide and help those she loves. I like to think this is what people see in me, but I really would not dare to toot my own horn in such a manner. I will simply say that Twilight Sparkle is the kind of friend I aspire to be. If I show my friends even half of the love, devotion and time that Twilight does, I will consider this my greatest success.

And finally Fluttershy. How I love you. At first, I overlooked you like everyone else. You hardly ever spoke! You spend time with your rabbits and your mice and other assorted fauna, socializing very little with other ponies. You feel most comfortable in your own world, doing your own thing. When other ponies intrude in your space, you grow very quiet and nervous. You never speak loudly or unkindly, until you are pushed too far. You are by far the most gentle of the ponies. You are never selfish, unkind, needy, boastful or cruel. I can understand your need for private space. When I am in my little world, I am so much like you. Quiet, with very little to say, and wanting no one else in it. I long for a garden like yours, a place where I can go to be alone with my work. Your gentle ways have made me your devoted fan, and I look forward to watching the rest of the series to see what the future holds for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment